Tuesday, June 29, 2021

KATAMARI DAMACY REROLL (PS4)

 


I played Katamari Damacy for the PS2 many years ago, and liked it so much I tried to play all sequels/ports there were. Probably pirated copies, but it might have been one of the first games with whom I followed my “If you finish a pirate game, you buy it”

Just recently I found out there was a remastered version on the PS4, and thanks to the Summer sales it was fairly cheap. So, taken by nostalgia, I bought/finished it

It is still Japanese videogaming at its best/worst: Insanely original, but also bizarre. The basic gameplay works fine, although I could think of a number of potential improvements to controls. However, knowing how Japanese approach their designs, they probably tried them all and failed. I still feel the handling of the Katamari a bit cumbersome - specially the fixed camera - but let´s admit it´s a difficult concept to make it work in the first place, so I´m willing to think they did their best and I should just enjoy the final result

The story is absolutely pointless, and the art direction flashy, colorful and inconsistent. And that´s probably what they were trying to do in the first place. It is enjoyable, it is creative and you should love it or leave it. I chose loving it


No comments: